Alpha Schulte has been working in the accounting and finance industries for over 20 years, starting out as a tax consultant.
As a child of migrants, financial security wasn’t something that was present in her life while she was growing up.
However, even knowing the importance of financial literacy, Alpha says it wasn’t until her growing interest in personal finance led her to completing a Diploma of Financial Planning, that she truly understood how much we’re not taught about money and how it relates to the decisions we make for our lives and families.
Alpha believes the key to having a better relationship with money lies in knowing yourself, your motivations and what’s important to you. She also says we need to be more open in sharing our thoughts and feelings around our finances.
In this conversation, Alpha talks about her experiences feeling stuck getting started in her career and how recognising the importance of increasing communication and education around financial literacy has led to the work she does now.
- “Early” stuck: Alpha describes how she felt stuck leaving school and choosing what to study and how to get her career started.
- Experimenting with options: Explaining how undertaking a range of further study and looking around for different options taught her a process for dealing with feeling stuck.
- The financial literacy “gap”: Understanding that there are systemic limitations and unspoken agendas creating obstacles to general financial literacy.
- Why we get stuck controlling our finances: Uncovering the cultural, societal and personal beliefs, filters and biases that get in the way of your relationship with money
- Normalising conversations about money: Alpha explains why it’s important to break down the stereotypes and make talking about money part of our everyday conversations, especially with children.
- The importance of knowing our values: Using your values as a guide for making decisions on how you make, manage and invest your money.
Join us as we delve into Alpha’s practical tips for developing a healthy relationship with your money.
MORE ABOUT ALPHA
If you’d like more information about Alpha and her work, you can find it here:
Listen to the Money with Alpha podcast
Did you love this podcast episode?
If you found this interview interesting, helpful, entertaining, or inspiring, I’d be so grateful if you’d leave a review on iTunes or where you listen to podcasts.
Great reviews will help others to find my podcast and learn how to get unstuck.
MORE ABOUT me and this podcast
To contact me, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.